Thursday, January 31, 2008

eat shit and die (ESD) #1: the origin

My posts tagged "eat shit and die" are records of random daily occurrences/musings that I may use in future essays and fictional writing. The name comes from an experience I had this afternoon.

A running joke between my husband and me is that when we walk by someone speaking a language not easily identifiable, one of us will say, "I hate it when people speak made up languages." I know, I know. It's not funny. It's kind of racist. But aren't a lot of jokes shared between close friends?

Today, I walked by a woman whom I judged to be speaking some Slavic language my husband and I would normally classify as "made up". In our defense, we're generally discerning with languages. I can usually recognize Russian or Ukrainian, but this woman was speaking neither.

Speaking on her cell phone, what I heard was "moshee mosh mosh nadjyoo madjkee EAT SHIT AND DIE moshee mosh mosh." It pains me that I know neither the true context of her conversation, nor how she came to learn this phrase. I like to think that she doesn't speak English, but upon moving to the States, decided to learn one terribly cruel English insult, to be used in dramatic moments like this.

No comments: