Saturday, June 14, 2008

Pomegranates, Cryptacize (live), midnight bike ride

E and I saw Cryptacize at the Middle East Upstairs on Wednesday. We had a great time, though it was kind of a weird night. I'll explain in my review, which will hopefully be up soon. [Ed.-here it is.] Here are some stinky photos.


Ben & Vesper


Spitzer Space Telescope


So what else has been keeping me out until all hours of the night? Oh, how 'bout those Celtics?! That's right, not only am I now a wholehearted Red Sox fan, but I also love the Celtics. This series has been incredible, especially Thursday night. You should hear these Boston sports radio guys go off on L.A. Two things they particularly despise: 1) celebrity fans, and 2) European players--quite reflective of Boston's odd mix of despising pretensions yet harboring latent racism.

What else? How 'bout riding my bike 30 miles in the dark on a Friday night? Yep, it was the second annual Justin birthday bike ride on the Minuteman Trail. This time, there were about 30 of us, including some SCUL friends. We had a nice soundtrack of Vivaldi, Jello Biafra, new wave synth pop [Ed.-I googled it, and we were listening to early Ministry, before they turned into an industrial metal band. And now this is my favorite new (old) album.] and thrasher metal. Good times. Here are some photos.

Birthday couple.


Brett and Ben.


Gratuitous bike shot.


See all the photos here.

Finally, I've been listening to a lot of Pomegranates lately. In theory, you can stream their new album here, but I can't get it to work. I was first introduced to them when they opened for the French Kicks in Boston a couple months ago. The more I think about it, they were the best part of that night.

No comments: