Wednesday, January 30, 2008

latent, vitriol, nascent

Word: latent
The context in which I most recently heard/saw it used: NY Magazine's post, "Fans of Latent Racism Rejoice: 'Crash' Gets Its Own TV Show!"
Meaning in the aforementioned context: present, but not realized
Potential future use of the word: I used it in this post: "[Method Man]... fears his sitcom is permeated with latent racism..."
Other thoughts on the word: I love NY Magazine. I read its blog daily. The comments are usually likewise enjoyable. I finally mustered the courage to comment on the site, in response to the aforementioned article. I was ripped to shreds. It's not good for the ego--especially since I was commenting on racism, a subject I regularly address on this blog. One of the commenters used a great word, which leads me to...

Word: vitriol
The context in which I most recently heard/saw it used: Comment to the aforementioned NY Magazine post: "I've never understood the vitriol directed toward 'Crash'."
Meaning in the aforementioned context: something highly caustic or severe in effect, as criticism
Potential future use of the word: "I don't understand how NY Magazine's commenters can direct such vitriol to my humble reflections on racism and allegory in the movie 'Crash'."

You may read the comments exchange here. You'll note that even the editor subtly shot down my comments, by labeling "Editor's Pick" to all comments except mine. One day I'll brave the comments section again. One day.

Researching the word 'latent' made me realize I have always confused it with the word...

Word: nascent
Most common meaning: emerging, in development
Potential future use of the word: I am a nascent commenter on NY Magazine's blog whose wit and insight will soon astonish the editors, such that all future comments will guarantee an "Editor's Pick" distinction.

No comments: