Monday, July 21, 2008

Mark Knopfler's "Last Exit to Brooklyn"

Mark Knopfler was in town this past weekend, which inspired me to listen to the Last Exit to Brooklyn soundtrack--moving stuff. Here's "Finale:"

Finale - Last Exit to Brooklyn (Last Exit to Brooklyn) - mark knopfler

I still haven't finished the novel on which the film's based (haven't seen the film either). It dives so deeply into the depravity of man, that I can only read about ten pages at a time before I feel sick.

Speaking of morally thought-provoking and troubling works of art, The Dark Knight is incredible. We talked about it for an hour after the film ended. I'm still thinking about it. If you haven't seen it, be on the look out for John Ringhofer's father as an extra. And if you don't know who John Ringhofer is, well... you're missing out.

From Half-handed Cloud's myspace page:
I haven't told many of you but my father (also named John Ringhofer) acted as an extra in the brand-new Batman film "The Dark Knight." I haven't seen it yet, so I'm not sure that they used his shots (there's a chance they didn't). I don't think he has a speaking part, but he describes his scene this way:

"I'm the Captain of the tug boats evacuating people from Gotham City. I'm wearing a bright yellow/green plastic jacket and a black police type hat talking with three or four other guys about what to do with civilians and prisoners."

He once told me to look for his scene near one with a crowd of people pulling rolling-suitcases towards a ferry boat. Anyways, if any of you are going to the film, let me know if you find him? I'll probably try to go in the next week or so to see for myself. Pretty neat.

Thanks,
john

No comments: