Thursday, May 15, 2008

Beirut tackling Oaxaca music?

I think it's safe to say that it'll be another year or so before Beirut tours again. Read this article. And who am I kidding about going to NY this weekend? We're going to the DeVotchKa show on Sunday, and I don't want to miss that, not even for Beirut.

What's crazy about that article is that Zach talks about writing new songs based on some sort of Oaxacan music, though he never defines it by name. This is confusing to me. I've been to Oaxaca--it's one of my favorite places on earth. But I sure don't remember music being the highlight there. In fact, I attended an atrocious jazz concert where the band played (no joke) the Mario Brothers theme song. I did attend a lovely violin recital at the Museo de las Culturas de Oaxaca. And I did watch some great music-filled wedding processions outside of Santo Domingo. But I don't remember any kind of unique Oaxacan music.

[Ed.-I realize that last paragraph was pretty ignorant. Like I don't know how to google? This article claims a "distinctive baroque cathedral music," which is sort of what I alluded to in my wedding processions comment and is certainly up Zach's alley.]

Well, my interest is piqued. Can't wait to see what Zach Condon comes up with next--though it looks like I might be waiting a long time.

No comments: