Monday, May 12, 2008

ESD#45: tales from shopping

On my lunch break today, I went to the Eddie Bauer Outlet to buy a nalgene bottle. I didn't find a bottle, but I was surprised by how much I liked the clothes. Paul Simon's Rhythm of the Saints was playing, and I thought how it's so odd that Vampire Weekend et.al. name drop Graceland, but don't acknowledge Rhythm of the Saints, which is one of my all-time favorite albums. As I stood there contemplating cargo pants and Paul Simon, I realized that I might be the most boring person on the planet. So I ran out of the store like I had diamonds on the soles of my shoes.

I went instead to the Army Navy surplus store, which made my inner 15-year-old shriek with glee. Memories of Ocean City New Jersey boardwalk shopping came flooding back to me. Snow Patrol was playing, so I guess Army Navy patrons are approximately 10% cooler than Eddie Bauer patrons. I found my bottle and debated whether buying E a Carhatt skull cap to match Luke's would be creepy or funny.

I hate shopping.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i hate shopping too and i love rhythm of the sts. way to get a nalgene, what are you coming to denver?