Tuesday, April 1, 2008

ESD#32: extremely literal videos

While running errands today, I heard the Dobie Gray song “Drift Away”. You know the one: “Give me the beat boys and free my soul…” Every time I hear this song, I start uncontrollably giggling, as it evokes the image of Dawson Leary’s father singing it in his car, dropping ice cream, and then actually DRIFTING AWAY into oncoming traffic, GETTING HIMSELF KILLED!

Thank you, thank you, thank you YouTube for having this scene!



I’ve always assumed that the writers of Dawson’s Creek appreciated that melodrama is often funny and that the literal depiction of drifting away was intentional. Otherwise, I guess I’m the only one with a sick sense of humor.

This also speaks to my love of literal depictions of lyrics in music videos. Hands down, the best example is Hinder’s “Lips of an Angel”. You may recall, this was the most asinine song of 2006, and is, thus, perfect for the most asinine literal depiction of lyrics in a music video (why doesn’t the MTV Video Music Awards have this category?).
Lyric: I don’t know why you’re calling me so late
Action: Guy on phone

Lyric: My girl’s in the next room
Action: Girl’s in the next room
Thanks again, YouTube! The first 20 seconds of this video are priceless.



Related to this concept is when a song uses a metaphor and then takes it to its logical conclusion. This is also a favorite of mine.

The best example in a current hit is J. Holiday’s “Suffocate,” which is arguably more of a conceit than a metaphor when you consider the title.
Lyric: I can't breathe when you talk to me.. Somebody call the paramedics
I think I might start a new blog with examples similar to these. I know I’d read it!

No comments: