Wednesday, February 27, 2008

ESD#18: figure skating

You should listen to this while reading this post (Beirut's "Mount Wroclai (Idle Days)"):

I just returned from a walk in the Boston Common, where I observed an empty frog pond save one lone skater doing all sorts of fancy spin and jump moves--we're talkin' axels 'n shit. Viewing his otherwise unnoticed performance, I was overcome with sadness. Perhaps the fact that I was listening to Beirut* at the time contributed to my emotion. As the accordion swelled, I imagined how it feels to have a talent so unique yet so useless and rarely exhibited or appreciated.

Eh. Maybe he was some famous skater unrecognizable to me, since I haven't watched figure skating since the glory days of Brian Boitano (I thought he looked like Balki from Perfect Strangers, a very misguided childhood crush).


*Apropos to this post, my ipod categorizes Beirut as "Weddings and Funerals". How awesome is that?

No comments: