Thursday, February 7, 2008

My Brightest Diamond's "The Robin's Law"

I'm really digging My Brightest Diamond's album "Bring Me the Workhorse" (thanks, Ivan!), because--let's call a spade a spade here--it sounds like Portishead. [Bonus points for being on the Asthmatic Kitty label (see here for my love of Sufjan Stevens).]

And like Portishead, I like to plot My Brightest Diamond songs on a creepy/sexy axis, kind of like this*:

At first, "The Robin's Law" is very sexy and only mildly creepy. But it suddenly jumps up the creepy axis at the last line of "Mama made me bury her in the backyard." The sexiest voice and arrangement can not make up for that lyric. Granted, I think she's singing about a bird and not her actual mother, but CREEE-PEEEEE.


*Have you seen this website? Have you SEEN IT?!

No comments: