Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Gutter Twins, Screaming Trees

This afternoon, I picked up tickets* at the Paradise and heard a bit of the sound check for The Gutter Twins. When I heard Mark Lanegan's voice, I remembered how much I adored the Screaming Trees' album "Dust". I don't think I've listened to it in ten years. I couldn't wait to get home and listen to it again.

And then I did.

Hmmm. Isn't it weird how much our tastes change over the years? I regularly listen to my old Pearl Jam albums, but I guess my love of all things grunge is not as strong as it used to be. I used to think I was born in the wrong time and place. In fact, even now, I'm about 35 in my head, 7 years older than my actual age. When I was 14 I wished I was living in Seattle, wearing flannels and going to shows.

Maybe I should further test the resilience of my grunge love by dusting off the Singles soundtrack.

Oh well. Even if my love for Screaming Trees isn't the same as it once was, they're still a great band. Here's "Nearly Lost You" from the Sweet Oblivion album to remind us of the glory days:



* Rogue Wave on 4/11 and Cut Copy, Black Kids & Mobius Band on 5/12. Anyone want to join E and me?

No comments: